335 E. Alvarado Rd.
335 E. Alvarado Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
$399,900 PRICE IMPROVED!
OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY, MARCH 3RD, 2019 FROM 11:00AM-2:00PM!
2 car carport + slab for 3+ additional cars
Subdivision: East Alvarado
1,933 sq ft livable space
Built in 1945
Lot size: 7,688
The newly discovered “Udall House” is situated in the East Alvarado historic district (National Register of Historic Places). Nicholas Udall was 3-term Phoenix mayor who had this home custom built in 1945. Historical figure, Helen K. Mason, resided here 1973-98. She founded the Black Theatre Troupe. Helen was the great granddaughter of Mary Green, who was born a slave in Arkansas & was the 1st African American woman to settle in Salt River Valley in 1886. The current owners have preserved this home’s historic features while remodeling. $50,000+ remodel includes new flooring (concrete + laminate), kitchen remodel, guest quarters/4th bedroom renovation, landscaping + eco-efficiencies: 3kw solar, new HVAC, sunscreens + insulation. Historical features include steel casement oriel window, arched doorways, built-in bookshelves, in-wall steel mailbox, glass block accents and concrete floors (many homes in East Alvarado historic had finished concrete floors in the 1930s-1940s). Pending tax reclassification will reduce taxes by up to 50% (for owner occupants).
Located between Coronado & Willo! Walk/bike to great restaurants and Phx destinations like The Coronado, Green Vegetarian, Rice Paper, Urban Cookie, Sutra Studios, The Main Ingredient, Humble Pie, City Farms Cafe, MacAlpines, and more!
DETAILED DESCRIPTION of 335 E. Alvarado Rd.
You are looking at the newly discovered “Udall House”, which is situated in the East Alvarado historic district (A 30 home historic district, located from 3rd Street to 7th Street, on Alvarado Rd. that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places). The East Alvarado subdivision was platted in 1929 by real estate developer, Greene and Griffin. This Monterey-style home was built by John A. Janson in 1945. John “Nicholas” Udall, the house’s namesake, was a 3-term Phoenix mayor who had this home custom built in 1944-1945.
The current owners have preserved many of this home’s historic features while sensitively modernizing the home. The $50,000+ remodel includes new flooring (finished concrete, wood plank laminate and porcelain wood tile), kitchen remodel, guest quarters/4th bedroom renovation, landscaping + eco-efficiencies: 3kw solar, new HVAC, sunscreens + insulation.
The living room has a delightful, original steel casement oriel window + picture window, arched walkways, built-in bookshelves, fresh white paint and finished concrete floors. The original steel mailbox and glass block windows are historically-intact. The living room leads to the formal dining room, which has many original features including the arched walkways, built-in shelves and telephone niche. It has finished concrete floors and fresh white paint. 2 casement windows border a French door, which leads to a wrap-around rear covered patio.
The spacious, eat-in kitchen was remodeled, while maintaining an overall classic style. White shaker-style cabinetry and glass uppers are paired with dark granite countertops. There is a dual basin stainless steel sink and stainless steel appliance package including smooth-top electric range/oven, built-in microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator. The banquette seating was designed to incorporate a historic feel into this timeless kitchen. The banquette features paneled details and upholstered bench seating, with a coordinating glass + wood table. The corner steel casement window is an original 1940s feature that was recently restored.
The owner’s suite features an enduring palette including rich plank laminate wood floors, white wainscoting, classic gray paint and picture window overlooking the rear yard. The owner’s bathroom features a porcelain pedestal sink, ceramic tile floors and faux-rustic ceramic tiled shower.
There are 2 additional bedrooms inside the main home. Both feature two-tone paint, rich plank laminate wood floors, original steel casement windows and ceiling fans. The 2nd bedroom has a custom solid wood Dutch door, that matches the home’s vintage flair.
There is a permitted 4th bedroom (constructed in 1948) which can also be used as a guest quarters, office, studio or media room. It is connected to the roof of the main house, but has a separate entrance. The current owners had a licensed contractor remodel this space to make it more functional. They gutted the space, installed the porcelain wood-grain tile flooring, framed in walls and ceiling, added electrical outlets, added the toilet, replaced the exterior siding and installed the kitchenette. It has a ¼ bath currently, but there is space that can easily accommodate the addition of a shower and sink, heating if desired (there is a sink in the kitchenette across from the bathroom). The new kitchenette has white and gray shaker-style cabinetry, acrylic countertops, under-mount dual basin stainless steel sink, new porcelain wood tile floors, fresh paint, ceiling fan and laundry hook-ups. 2 French doors on the East and North side of the room open to the rear yard and covered patio. There is also an attic space above.
Talk about curb appeal! The landscaping in the front yard was completely re-designed and modernized, while incorporating the existing mature trees and hedges. There are many modern elements including the linear, steel-curbed lawns, river rock accents and exposed aggregate concrete pavers that lead to the porch entry and the private front patio. A vintage brick walkway connects the driveway to the front entry. You can find great professionals like Driveways Nottingham to help with your home, you can do Block Paving, Tarmac, Gravel, Resin Driveways and more to improve your home. The front yard is illuminated at night with path lighting, which are on a timer. Modern house numbers and a cheery brick-color front door greet you at the entry.
In the rear yard, there is a grass island with mature palm tree that is surrounded by a wrap-around covered patio. There is a detached 2 car carport, concrete slab for parking and/or entertaining and additional yard space that is finished with river rock and a storage shed. There is no alley behind this home; it backs to million dollar historic estates, in the Los Olivos historic district.
For a historic home, there are several eco-efficiencies that put this home in a class of its own. There is a 3kw Tesla solar system, brand new Trane HVAC system (Feb 2018), new sunscreens on the Western exposure windows + extra insulation in the attic. These investments have improved the home’s overall energy consumption. A new energy-star water heater was also recently installed with Performance Based.
One of the many perks of owning a historic home is the tax savings. This home has a pending tax reclassification that, when approved, will reduce the property taxes by up to 50%, for the next assessed tax year (for owner-occupants only). The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as of 1992, when the East Alvarado subdivision gained its historic status. The description for this property on the official Arizona State Historic form is: “A good illustration of the Monterey-style using typical elements of style like cross-gable roof, stuccoed walls and modern elements of large oriel window, minimum veranda and use of glass block.” This home is constructed of red brick with permitted block additions, a shed-style roof and steel casement windows. East Alvarado was developed during the late 1930s building boom and runs from 3rd Street to 7th Street on Alvarado Rd.
Location, location, location! East Alvarado historic district is sandwiched between the better-known Coronado and Willo historic districts. This home is ideally-situated on a North/South facing lot and has beautiful historic homes around it in every direction. You can walk or bike to so many amazing Phoenix restaurants and coffee shops including The Coronado, Green Vegetarian/Nami, The Main Ingredient, Starbucks, Rice Paper, Urban Cookie, Bri, City Farms Cafe (micro greens), Humble Pie, Oven + Vine, MacAlpines, Rollover Coffee and Donuts, Giant Coffee, Press Coffee, Switch Restaurant and Wine Bar and more. Other neighborhood treasures include Sutra Studios (yoga and barre), Modified Arts and Sunshine Market. Grocery shopping is a breeze with a Safeway grocery store .4 miles away from the home. 335 E. Alvarado Rd. gets a 73 BikeScore which is considered “Very Bikeable”. If you love to get out for a walk, there are 5 city parks within a mile: Monterey, Townsend, Country Club Oval, Coronado and Margaret T. Hance park + dog park. There are also 2 museums within a mile: The Heard Museum and The Phoenix Art Museum.
THE HISTORY BEHIND 335 E. ALVARADO RD.
John A. Janson is listed on the original building permit from 1944, as the builder of 335 E. Alvarado St. John would often publish classified ads for his services, in the Arizona Republic. He was partner of Williams and Janson, with O.G. Williams. “Our name is the assurance of quality” is a quote in one of their advertisements.
Greene And Griffin Real Estate and Investment Company platted the East Alvarado subdivision in 1929. Greene and Griffin was established in 1889 by R.H. Greene and J.S. Griffin. R.H. Greene was the president and organizer of the company. In the early 1900s their business name was “Greene And Griffin Real Estate”. In 1906 they changed to “Greene and Griffin Real Estate, Loans and Insurance”. R.H. Green was the standing mayor of Phoenix in 1906, when Frank B. Moss died in office. Green was a city councilman at the time and was elected as Moss’s successor. Lewis W. Noggins was then elected mayor in 1906. Greene and Griffin was heavily associated with “Home Builders”. Another development from the same time as East Alvarado was a 40 acre tract at 16th St and Indian School called Morningside.
John Nicholas Udall was 3-term Phoenix mayor who had this home custom built for his family in 1945. He purchased the lot for $750 and got a permit through FHA to build the home. Nicholas and his wife, Sybil, had 7 children, who all resided at the Alvarado home. They built a 3rd bedroom + bathroom and converted the garage to a 4th bedroom, while they owned the home. Nicholas Udall acquired the lot at 335 E. Alvarado Rd. in 1944. The original 2 bedroom home took 15 months to build. The total cost of the home was $6,000. In 1948, Nicholas borrowed money on his life insurance policy to expand the home (added a 3rd bedroom + bathroom and converted the garage to livable space) to accommodate his family, which included 7 children. He and his family sold the home on July 22nd, 1959. There is a 1958 article in the Arizona Republic titled “Street is Small Town In Big City” in which Sybil Udall, his wife, says, “We really outgrew our yard. One night after changing 5 broken windows which went by way of a backyard baseball game, my husband decided it was time for a larger yard.”
Nicholas Udall was a 3rd generation Arizonan. He was born in St. Johns, Arizona. Nicholas was married to Sybil Udall and they had 7 children. His father, John Hunt Udall, was the mayor of Phoenix from 1936-1938. Nicholas was 1/2 way through his term as city commissioner for the city of Phoenix on May 1st, 1948, when he was elected Mayor of Phoenix. He was the Mayor of Phoenix for 3 terms, from 1948-1952. Nicholas went on to become a Maricopa County Superior Court judge from 1952-1956. Then, he went into private practice until he retired in 1992. He wrote an autobiography called “The Wonder Of It All” which was published in 2006.
Historical figure, Helen K. Mason, owned 335 E. Alvarado Rd. from 1973-1998. Helen was an African American community leader who founded the Black Theatre Troupe in Phoenix, AZ in 1970. She was a Phoenix native and the oldest of 5 children. Helen was the great granddaughter of historical figure, Mary Greene. Mary Greene was born a slave in Union County, Arkansas. She is recognized as the first African American woman to settle in the Salt River Valley (soon would be Phoenix) in 1886.
Helen attended the Phoenix Union Colored High School and later Arizona State University, where she graduated with a degree in Recreation. She had 5 children. While working for the city of Phoenix Parks and Recreation, she founded the Black Theatre Troupe, with the assistance of a grant. The Black Theater Troupe carries on Helen’s legacy at the Helen K. Mason Center For Performing Arts. There is a documentary about Helen called A Legacy In The Valley (www.ALegacyInTheValley.com). She was inducted into the Arizona’s Women’s Hall Of Fame in 2015. “Helen Katherine Mason’s vision and dedication opened new frontiers for youth of color and built bridges between races and ethnicities.”
“Dead Air Dave”, aka David W. Sozinho, owned 335 E. Alvarado Rd. from 1998-2014. Dave is a radio personality who got his start in radio in 1994 at WXRK in New York. in 2002, he took a position as a censor as the Howard Stern Show. Dave was also an on-air personality on several Sirius satellite radio channels. He made a video documentary about his censorship job at the Howard Stern show called Irritation: A Radio Saga. He currently works at station WTKU in New York City.
Quick overview of ownership history
The Udalls sold the home after living there for 16 years, on July 22nd, 1959 to Harry P. Maxwell and Virginia M. Maxwell.
Harry and Virginia sold to Marion C. Van Cleve, on September 2nd, 1959. Marion was married to a local auctioneer named Hayden Van Cleve.
Marion sold to Nuel and Vergia Cordon, on June 10th, 1963. What is interesting about that sale is that Nuel and Vergia owned the home next door at 341 E Alvarado Rd, which they had built in 1941. Nuel moved to Arizona in 1931 to open a barbershop. He owned numerous barbershops and beauty supply stores in the valley.
Nuel and Vergia quickly sold the home to Otis D. Blackford and Esther L. Blackford, on August 29th, 1963. Otis and Esther came to Arizona in 1962. Otis was awarded a Purple Heart during WWII while serving in the 104th Infantry in Europe.
Otis and Esther sold to Carl L. Mason and Helen K. Mason on May 3rd, 1973.
Helen K. Mason sold to David Sozinho in 1998.
David sold the the current owners in 2014.
Call or Jennifer Hibbard at 602-908-5801 or Christie Kinchen at 602-908-8946 for more information.